Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Our Austria trip is coming to an end ... (Part 3)


  
 
On our last day in Austria Claudia and I enjoyed a relaxing morning off at the Loisium hotel. I decided to go swimming in the heated outdoor pool that looks out to the vineyards just before the snow started, and it was the best decision I could have made! It's not every day I have an experience like that...

We were also treated to a personal drive with Eva Steininger (Karl and Brigitte's middle daughter who has taken many of the responsibilities at the winery) up through the famed Heiligen Stein vineyards of the Kamptal, which produce Rieslings and Gruner Veltliners of incredible purity, minerality, complexity and mouthwatering acid. The twisty mountain drive left me carsick but also in awe. Eva told us that during harvest, it takes about thirty minutes to get a tractor of fruit back to the winery where they can be pressed and fermented! And staying true to the down-to-earth kindness that this family practically seeped out of its pores, Brigitte Steininger drove me and Claudia all the way into Vienna so that we could get to our hotel for the evening.  

No comments:

Post a Comment